Pets are part of the family, so when our beloved four-legged friend suffers an illness or injury, we suffer too.
Not only are these events very upsetting but unfortunately extremely expensive nowadays and for this reason German insurance companies offer the following two products:
'Pet Medical Insurance & Pet Surgery Insurance'
In addition to our pet's state of health we care about, our loved ones also are always good for furthers surprises, and not all of these make us laugh. Sometimes it just takes a split second of carelessness on our behalf and quickly somebody is hurt, property damaged, or a stranger feels the need to prosecute us for their financial-loss. These are not uncommon circumstances and for this German companies offer
'Pet Owner liability Insurance'
The common benefits insurers provide are:
- 100% reimbursement in accordance with the German Veterinary Fee Schedule (GOT) and up to twice the amount, for:
- Outpatient and inpatient treatment
- Pre-treatment, follow-up care & inpatient accommodation
- Surgery, including expenses for medication, x-rays and bandaging material
- Reimbursement for:
- Microchip expenses
- Alternative medicine (e.g. homoeopathy, acupuncture)
- Financial aid for:
- Anthelmintic (worm) therapy,
- Calculus removal
- Europe-wide cover
In Germany only dogs & horses are obliged to have their own insurance cover against liability claims, all other smaller pets fall under the owners own (family) private liability insurance.
The reason for this is because especially dogs and horses are extremely unpredictable and every owner of an animal is liable for the financial consequences an incident could entail.
- Personal Injury, Property Damages & Financial Loss
- Risks caused py persons who take care of or ride the horse free-of-charge
- Possession and usage of dog-, horse- or draft animal trailers, that require no registration/ insurance
- Intended mating
- The policy holder's mare kicks the specially ordered stallion so badly that it needs medical treatment. The insurance will pay for the vet bills.
- Unintended mating
Whilst taking the dog our for a walk, the male dog impregnates a strange dog. The owner might be confronted with the expenses for abortion, vet or even the rearing of the puppies.