Pets are part of the family, so when our beloved four-legged friend suffers an illness or injury, we suffer too.
Not only are these events very upsetting but unfortunately extremely expensive nowadays and for this reason German insurance companies offer the following two products:
'Pet Medical Insurance & Pet Surgery Insurance'
Common benefits provided by insurers are:
- 100% reimbursement in accordance with the German Veterinary Fee Schedule (GOT) and up to twice the amount, for:
- Outpatient and inpatient treatment
- Pre-treatment, follow-up care & inpatient accommodation
- Surgery, including expenses for medication, x-rays and bandaging material
- Various levels of reimbursement for:
- Alternative medicine (e.g. homoeopathy, acupuncture)
- Microchip expenses
- Preventive measures
- Financial aid for:
- Anthelmintic (worm) therapy,
- Calculus removal
- Europe-wide cover
The costs and benefits depend on the respective breed, age and also on the way the animal is kept.
For cats that are no older than five years, insurance can be purchased for 130 Euro per year, but there are also some providers that charge 300 Euro.
Dogs are dearer and the current cheapest insurer will charge 250 Euro per year, other even double this amount.